Backend Software Engineer
Capella is at the forefront of making vital information about our world accessible in a timely manner. We’re leveraging proven technologies and building new capabilities to create a constellation of SAR satellites that can collect information about any spot on the planet within an hour.
At Capella you’ll work in a collaborative team environment, alongside smart people with a history of space mission success. No prior space experience is needed—we’re looking for people excited about tackling seemingly impossible challenges, learning new skills and concepts, and helping each other achieve success.
Our mission and our products are meant to understand the whole world and help everyone in it, regardless of race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.
We value diversity at Capella and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position, but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Capella Space is looking to grow its engineering team with a Backend Software Engineer to help develop, support, and improve our spacecraft operations infrastructure. You’ll work closely with the operations and product teams to build the services that drive our constellation operations and tasking services.
You’ll help build out RESTful APIs, algorithms, and services which our operators use to monitor, control, and task our satellite constellation.
- US Citizenship or Green Card
- Experience building and deploying robust, secure, and well documented web APIs.
- Experience working in Python and with Python web frameworks (Flask/Django/Hug/FastAPI)
- Knowledge of data model design, different databases, and database architectures.
- Independent problem solver.
- Knowledge of distributed task/worker systems.
- Some experience with mathematical optimization techniques — Dynamic programming, mixed-integer linear programming, etc.
- Some familiarity with service deployment technologies—CI/CD, ansible, etc.
- Strong sense of craftmanship and desire to build products that people love to use.
- Enjoy working collaboratively on a small team and building large chunks of a system.
- Good communications skills and enjoyment of learning from and teaching other team new skills.
Besides the opportunity to take part in an innovative and fast-growing business with a highly motivated and skilled team, we also take pride in taking care of our employees. Here are just a few ways that we show our appreciation:
- 100% paid medical/dental/vision insurance for employees, 50% contribution toward dependents
- Gourmet-style, daily free lunch; weekly happy hour
- 401k plan
- Flexible vacation policy
- Commuter benefits including Caltrain passes and GoBike membership
- Dog-friendly work environment